My experience with experimental film started in the micro-cinema scene in
Pittsburgh, which was entirely DIY and non-affiliated (though Pittsburgh
Filmmakers was very supportive) - Jefferson Presents..., and before them
Orgone Cinema - represented two decades of consistent experimental film
screenings, completely run by artists (Michael Johnsen, Greg Pierce, Gordon
Nelson, Adam Abrams, Jim Mueller).  There is a great history of this scene
in INCITE's Exhibition Issue.

I went to grad school at MassArt, where Saul Levine runs a weekly Film
Society dedicated to avant garde cinema (30+years now). MassArt Film
Society shows contemporary work, as well as films from the unique
collection at MassArt, and invites artists to present their work on a
weekly basis.  I was fortunate to be a graduate assistant for MassArt Film
Society - projecting, setting up, print trafficking etc - and I got to meet
an incredible variety of filmmakers, and became well acquainted with their
work.  Saul was very supportive and allowed me to program a few shows, and
provided guidance and assistance when I put together a US tour for Rose
Lowder in 2011 (during my last year in grad school).  Rebecca Meyers, who
was programming for Emerson at the time, was also incredibly supportive, as
was Rob Todd.  The mentoring I received from experienced programmers has
been the most valuable outcome of my graduate studies.  I continue to
program experimental film screenings in my current capacity as Curator of
Moving Image Collections at Visual Studies Workshop, and I include
programming and projection in all the courses I teach in Film Production.

Filmmaking is a community, not a competition.

Tara Merenda Nelson