Dear Gearheads,

San Francisco Cinematheque is in possession of a zoom lens
attachment—specifically a Buhl 16mm "Varazoom," Cat. No. 833-490. You can
see one just like it here
<http://www.terapeak.com/worth/new-buhl-833-490-f1-2-50mm-varazoom-for-viewlex-audio-video-2-projection-lens/400989585437/>
and here
<http://www.ebay.ca/sch/sis.html?_nkw=New%20Buhl%20833%20490%20f1%202%2050mm%20Varazoom%20Viewlex%20Audio%20Video%202%20Projection%20Lens&_itemId=181284448888>.
I know it says "video" on those pages but we use it for 16mm (I also
realize that those two pages might be somehow clones of each other.)

The device is screwed on to a 50mm fixed lens and is obviously intended to
add zoomable variance to this fixed lens. And indeed it does—you can see it
"zooming."

The question: can anyone tell me what the effective focal length(s) of this
combo provides. I'd like to be able to communicate this info to someone but
cannot find this information anywhere.

Thanks for any useful feedback that can be provided.

Steve Polta