I'm partial to the Roland R-26 as a basic field recorder with built-in
mics, XLR inputs, and phantom power. It's nothing fancy, but can handle
some abuse, and I appreciate having independent gain adjustment for the
inputs. The specs allow you to record up to 6-channels, but it's really
going to be some combination of 2 XLR OR 2 1/4" channels + stereo from the
built-in mics + stereo from a mini-plug. If you want something that will
handle more than 2 external pro mics, this isn't it.

It's similar to the Zoom H4n, which is also an OK basic field recorder w/
XLR inputs and phantom power, but which requires you to use the menu
interface to control gain during recording.

-Jason Halprin

Jason Halprin
jihalp...@gmail.com
jasonhalprin.com <jihalp...@gmail.com>