Hello frameworkers,

Fractal Meat Cuts has recently released a recording of one of my film
performances, a very special one because it was the first time I explored
sound and film performance. Perhaps you were there in the audience?

Summoning Ghosts of Industries Past rouses distant voices and clanking
whirring obsolete machines amongst the dusty rafters and uneven floorboards
of a former cotton mill in the city centre of Manchester. Loops of 16mm
film showing men and women working in textile factories were given a live
soundscape of industrial weaving machinery and songs relating to work with
cloth and thread. Part of the performance involved mixing live with 16mm
film loops of moving images and optical sounds created from fabric, stitch
and thread. In addition to optical sound, the performance repeatedly
emphasised sound as a physical, material format: I sang a Lace Tell and
played the keyboard, as well as playing songs on vinyl records and a dub
plate recording of weaving machinery at Quarry Bank Mill. The event was
hosted by the Manchester based Film Material collective and took place on
26th February 2015.

Fractal Meat Cuts is a label run by Graham Dunning for short run and
handmade releases. Started for self-releases, moving through
collaborations, 2016 marked a move to releasing recordings made by other
artists as well.

This release is available as a limited edition cassette with a digital
download or as a digital download alone. The release includes sound
recordings, photographs and typewritten programme notes giving personal
insight into the performance and the ideas I was interested in exploring.

https://fractalmeat.bandcamp.com/album/summoning-ghosts-of-industries-past

I hope this message finds you all in the high spirits of summer sunshine.

Mary x