Hi Jamie,

Julian’s work on Japanese avant-garde cinema is indeed terrific - really a
breakthrough for Western (non-Japanese speaking) scholars. You can find his
work online pretty easily, I think.

If, on the other hand, you have films like Tetsuo in mind - directors like
Shinya Tsukamoto and Sogo Ishii - you might look at some of Tony Rayns’
writings. He was writing about that work in the early ‘80s as it was emerging.
I would also highly recommend: http://www.midnighteye.com/. It covers a wide
variety of Japanese cinema, but really favors the cult stuff. Some of this
work, especially Tsukamoto’s, had it’s origins in 8mm independent filmmaking
and live performance.

I have a lot of material on this, from research I did back in the day as a grad
student. It’s not immediately to hand, however. I can dig it out in the next
week and send you some more info, if you remind me.

Best,
Jonathan

Dr. Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor and Chair