In addition to the good suggestions already given, sometimes it helps, especially with some super8s, to bend the head of the film a bit to put a little temporary curl in it to match the direction of the loop former. This seems especially helpful with some super-8s.

With the Bolex super-8 18-5s, it is possible to remove the upper and lower loop formers and the bottom film guide to turn them into manual loads. You have to break a little plastic but it doesn't damage the projectors to do so.

Fred Camper
Chicago