Hi Morgan,

If you’re looking to obtain a final screening print ( 16mm  ) with sync sound,
the primary format is optical sound track recording. There may be people
experimenting with making their own home-brew magnetic tracks, but there’s
little to no support for magnetic sound on 16mm these days.

So, if you want to get an optical track made, you definitely can.

There’s a lab in Canada that I’ve used recently to produce an optical negative
and they did very good work.

Regarding the overall workflow questions you had, if you use film scanning
there are workflows that largely eliminate the need to use mag or a Steenbeck
to produce your soundtrack.  Not that I’m opposed to those things :)
This or may not apply to your workflow, but hopefully it will give you some
perspective on your options:

Consider the possibility of having your film or negative scanned at 24fps (
progressive ). Although this may add some cost up front, the scan can be useful
for many purposes not the least of which is facilitating digital sound
workflow. Once your film is scanned at 24fps progressive, maintaining sound
sync in the digital environment becomes much easier than with NTSC telecine
processes. Note, if you need an NTSC end product, my approach may not totally
suit you.

Once you have your scan, import it as a quicktime movie into an audio editing
application like ProTools/DigitalPerformer/etc. Create a sync beep and do all
your overdub ( voice over ) in the audio app. Make sure the audio editor
transport counter is operating at 24fps. Beep must be placed carefully. You can
conform subsequent edits of scanned material in your audio editor very easily
while still editing on film at the same time. You can conform edits on the fly
as you work between film and digital simultaneously if necessary.

You can then mix using your audio workstation and send the mixed audio file (
with sync beep ) to the optical sound lab and they will provide you an optical
negative. That optical neg can then be married to the image negative in the
final print by your lab. I used dropbox to transfer my mix to the lab in Canada.

There are lots of details and particulars you must be attentive to, but that’s
the overview. I’m happy to talk to you about it if you want to send me an
email. Other people may have other approaches. You need to find the right mix
of techniques for your personal process.

Ken Linehan