Here’s a selection from the 20th Century:
James, David E. Allegories of Cinema: American Film in the Sixties.  Princeton
Univ. Press.
Battcock, Gregory, ed.  The New American Cinema: A Critical Anthology.    NY:
E. P. Dutton, 1967.
Berger, John.  "The Moment of Cubism," in Berger, The Moment of Cubism and
Other Essays.  (2 hour reserve)
Clarke, Vèvè, et. al., The Legend of Maya Deren, Volume 1, part two, Chambers,
1942-47, NY: Anthology Film Archives, 1988.   [ISBN 0-911689-17-6]
Dwoskin, Stephen.  Film Is:  The International Free Cinema.   Woodstock NY:
Overlook Press, 1975.
Ehrenstein, David.  Film The Front Line, 1984.   Denver: Arden Press, 1984.
Gidal, Peter.  Materialist Film.   London: Routledge, 1989.
Hanhardt, John G., ed.  A History of the American Avant-Garde Cinema.    NY:
American Federation of Arts, 1976.
James, David E.  Allegories Of Cinema:  American Film in the Sixties.
Princeton: Princeton U.P., 1989.
Kirby, Michael.  "The Aesthetics of the Avant-Garde," in Kirby, The Art of
Time.  1969 (2 hour reserve)
LeGrice, Malcolm.  Abstract Film and Beyond.   Cambridge MA: MIT Press, 1977.
Macdonald, Scott.  A Critical Cinema:  Interviews with Independent Filmmakers.
 Berkeley: U of California, 1988.
Macdonald, Scott.  A Critical Cinema 2:  Interviews with Independent
Filmmakers.   Berkeley: U of California, 1992.
Macdonald, Scott. Avant-Garde Film: Motion Studies.  Cambridge, Cambridge U.P.
1993.
Mekas, Jonas.  Movie Journal:  The Rise of a New American Cinema, 1959-1971.
NY: Collier, 1972.
O'Pray, Michael, ed.  Andy Warhol:  Film Factory.    London: British Film
Institute, 1989.
Renan, Sheldon.  An Introduction to the American Underground Film.   NY: E. P.
Dutton, 1967.
Rosenbaum, Jonathan.  Film:  The Front Line, 1983.   Denver: Arden Press, 1983.
Rowe, Carol.  The Baudelairean Cinema:  A Trend within the American
Avant-Garde.   Ann Arbor: UMI Research, 1982.
Russett, Robert, and Cecile Starr.  Experimental Animation:  An Illustrated
Anthology.   NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1976.
Schneemann, Carolee.  More Than Meat Joy:  Complete Performance Works and
Selected Writings.   New Paltz, NY: Documentext, 1979.
Sitney, P. Adams, ed.  Film Culture Reader.    NY: Praeger, 1970.
Sitney, P. Adams, ed.  The Essential Cinema:  Essays on the Films in the
Collection of Anthology Film Archives.  Vol. 1.    NY: New York U. P., 1975.
Sitney, P. Adams, ed.  The Avant-Garde Film:   A Reader of Theory and
Criticism.    NY: New York U. P., 1978.
Tyler, Parker.  Underground Film:  A Critical History.   NY: Grove, 1969.
Vogel, Amos.  Film As A Subversive Art.   NY: Random House, 1974.
Youngblood, Gene.  Expanded Cinema.   NY: Dutton, 1970.
 Richter, Hans.  Dada: Art and Anti-Art
 Stauffacher, Frank.  Art in Cinema.
Curtis, David.  Experimental Cinema.
Rabinovitz, Lauren, Points of Resistance: Women, Power and Politics in the New
York Avant-garde Cinema, 1943-71.

On Jan 6, 2017, at 9:03 PM, Maxwell di Paolo