Werner Nekes and Dore O. visited Sarah Lawrence College when I was an student
there in 1971. While of course I recall their Jum Jum, I was more taken by Dore
O.’s Kaldalon, an exquisite “landscape” film, shot during their recent travels
in Iceland. Both were still rapturously enthusiastic about Iceland. I’ve wanted
to visit the Iceland of that film ever since. I think the closest (in luminance
and spirit) I ever got was in the high Andes of central Ecuador. Both Nekes and
Dore O. were sweet, gracious and giving individuals, most generous with their
time with eager young filmmakers. To expand a bit this eulogistic thread, Nekes
and Dore O. came to Sarah Lawrence thanks to Howard Guttenplan, who brought a
number of prominent filmmakers, all of whom played significant roles in the
education of the two film students interested in Avant-Garde work.

Bob Harris