Kit Laybourne’s The Animation Book and Maureen Furniss’  The Animation Bible
both show thumbnail storyboards or diagrams for several experimental animated
films, including George Griffin’s “Head” (this one is essentially a flow
chart). The question of what constitutes “experimental” is critical, as Bernie
notes. Some animations are experimental in their approach, dispensing with
storyboarding, others experiment with genre, technique, etc.. So the script
might simply be directions for proceeding without reference to image content or
dialog or voice over.

Wells’ and Quinn’s Drawing for Animation, Clare Kitson’s monograph on
Norstein’s Tale of Tales, Corrie Francis Parks’ Fluid Frames, and Amid Amidi’s
Cartoon Modern might also provide good examples of experimental animation
process documents.

Ruth

http://www.randommotion.com
blogs.evergreen.edu/hayesr