Norman McLaren  to my knowledge made mostly very “figure” based  imagery (often
cute). Len Lye  was more to my liking, however he still was making figurative
based gestures dancing around to music. I was narrowing my question down to
(extended) “abstract expressionist” film painting, rather than the more general
area of camerless filmmaking overall. Man Ray also pioneered some techniques in
this realm but I was referring more to “expressionist” style film painting that
would later become  something Stan Brakhage explored extensively, however never
without asserting that there was a correlative metaphoric quasi “narrative"
involved. Later he would call it “moving visual thinking”.

> On Dec 1, 2017, at 12:07 PM, Kit Basquin <kitbasq...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> Norman McLaren, who was from Scotland but worked for the Canadian Film Board
> most of his life.

Myron Ort
www.zeno-okeanos,com