I do not recall that Oscar Fischinger applied paint directly to film, can you
cite an example of his using that technique? True he is considered an
“abstract” film animator but I was hoping to make some finer distinctions even
within the area of  techniques involving the appication of paint directly to
the film surface. Further, within that specialized arena, I was making
distinctions between filmmakers who do figurative animation painting each
sequential frame accordingly and those who, borrowing “art associative” terms,
paint directly onto film with an approach similar to "abstract expressionism”,
not necessarily  accounting for the usual predictive movement continuity
associated with animation (or live action for that matter), and in some cases
would appear to even “ignore” (in  the usual sense) the frame lines.  I sense a
resistance here to the making of such distinctions, as if using any terms of
distinction would somehow rob the filmmaker of her soul, a fear similar to
those who even feel that being photographed might somehow rob them of their
very existence. Sometimes we need to invent language, terminology, or words to
point to distinctions which do actually exist.

> On Dec 3, 2017, at 4:00 AM, Ingo Petzke <i...@petzke.biz> wrote:
>
> Wat about some Oscar Fischinger?
>
> Cheers
> Ingo