I would say that the most of Brakhage’s extensive painting on film was inspired
by the socalled Abstract Expressionist painters, I believe he said as much.

Brakhage was certainly not painting or scratching (“cute”) little animated
figures or the same tiresome (easy/lazy) cliches as most practitioners end up
doing.

> On Dec 4, 2017, at 3:48 PM, Robert Withers <withe...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I am bemused by this topic since the questioner specifically referred to
> "abstract expressionist" painting on film There have been a lot of painters
> on film including myself, and kids I taught in film class.
> But I've never been aware of a painter on film who wasn't inspired
> specifically by the traditions and techniques of experimental or animated
> film, and the very technology of motion picture film itself.
>
> Abstract expressionists were very self-conscious of their specific practice
> (I don't remember who named the style). With the big expressionistic
> body-gestures it seems to have little to do with the careful, miniaturistic
> practices of painters on film, no matter how free the projected image looked.
> I fondly remember Brakhage's Persian Series which he created with a lightbox
> and painting kit on the tables of a Colorado Cafe.
>
> Maybe art historians of the future will link all free abstract images as
> "abstract expressionism" but I don't think so.
>
> Cheers,
> Robert
>

> WithersWorks.com <http://withersworks.com/>
> 202 West 80th St. #5W