Hi Mark,

One favorite springs to mind immediately: *Ladies Skirts Nailed to a Fence*
(1899)/. Two women (actually men in drag) stand at a fence gossiping, and a
young scalawag sneaks up behind them, pulls the ends of their long,
Victorian skirts through the slats in the fence, and nails them to said
fence. When the "ladies" notice this, they try to run away, but are stuck,
of course. Instead of moving the camera to either side of the fence for the
two recto/verso views, the filmmakers moved the *actors*. This variation on
shot/reverse-shot is pretty awesome, and the pantomiming of femininity by
the male actors is a bonus.

I'm sure I'll think of more - this is a favorite topic.
All best,
Jonathan

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Mark Street <mstreet...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> Preparing a brief talk on The Experimental Impulse in Early Cinema....
> thinking about how it ALL was that way by definition early on; an inventory
> of tricks, effusions, failed and successful experiments.
>
> Any favorites anyone can recommend?
>
> Mark

Dr. Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor and Chair