Hello Frameworkers,

I have a question about Tony Conrad’s performance 7360 Sukiyaki, which I’m
asking on behalf of another researcher. It’s a simple question, really, but has
become quite the little puzzle.

The question is where the work was “premiered.” In an essay he wrote for MFJ
called “Is This Penny Ante or a High Stakes Game?”, Tony listed three
performance dates for the work: December 17, 1973, April 27, 1974, and June 15,
1974. The latter two dates I have been able to nail down: The Walker Art Center
and the Millennium. That leaves the December 17, ’73 date, apparently the
premiere. My educated guess is that this took place at Antioch, which Tony was
teaching at the time (he left shortly after to teach at Binghamton, then, of
course, SUNY Buffalo). The researcher I’ve been talking to has not been able to
find anything about a performance at Antioch (my guess is that it was a very
low-key affair, possibly connected with a class, as was Film Feedback); she is
trying to eliminate Anthology or any other NY venue as a possible site of the
premiere. She’s even contacted the archivist at Antioch and gotten more-or-less
a non-responsive response.

Any ideas? I know it’s a lot of verbiage for what seems like a tiny question,
but since I’ve spent a few days figuring out the other dates and sort of
mapping Tony’s travels between 1972 and 1975, I’ve developed an obsession with
answering this question. Not that it would be the end of the world if I didn’t
(especially since it’s not even my research project).

Related to this: I have not been able to determine when/where/by whom this
photo was taken:
https://yswriting.wordpress.com/2016/04/18/tony-conrad-critical-audiovisions/
<https://yswriting.wordpress.com/2016/04/18/tony-conrad-critical-audiovisions/>

I’m quite sure it’s not the Walker Art Center, but beyond that I’m clueless.

Thanks everyone!
JW

Dr. Jonathan Walley
Associate Professor and Chair