Marilyn,

I don’t disagree with anything you wrote. Five people agreeing are not always right. My post was colored by the fact that I believed the initial story, finding it frightening that an instructor would be pressured out of a job for showing a film. I don’t know of any films I have seen the showing of which should ever be judged as sexual harassment. Sexual harassment is very serious and very bad, and the term should not be demeaned by application with speech acts not directed at a particular person.

I taught in the same school as Stan Brakhage for quite a few years. Perhaps he could be a little difficult at times, but he is not even remotely like the unnamed person I was referencing. I was pleased to sometimes try to smooth out small conflict between Stan and the administration. There are intense and dramatic personalities; then there is the occasional abuser, and that is the person I was referring to, someone who in the course of what should have been an objective conversation routinely resorted to frequent personal insults – among many other bullying tactics.

One year I got a grant that allowed us to bring in fifteen different filmmakers from the US and abroad. As the list came together, I was warned that this or that filmmaker would be very difficult. In every case but one, they were not. Kenneth Anger was gentle, even sweet, and did exactly what he had agreed to do. A few had special requests, but they were not hard to meet.

One of the fifteen /was/ difficult. When he met with his student projectionist in advance of his public show, the projectionist suggested, from the projector deck, that they needed to agree on a signal between them if the filmmaker felt a film was out of focus. The filmmaker said something like, "Why don’t I just call out, 'Hey, you fuck, focus it. '" The projectionist took exception to being referred to as a "fuck," and almost walked out. To me, this is not a matter about which reasonable people can disagree; it is bullying.

That is not to say that I have any idea what the five were referring to. Maybe I would agree; maybe not.

Remember too that I was responding to someone who was taking sides, apparently accepting the initial narrative, suggesting that the artist in general is so abused that he should teach dishonestly. Maybe in a totalitarian dictatorship? We are not there yet, thankfully.

I don’t know what I would think about the MassArt situation if I had been there. It is just that I was embarrassed to be thinking ill of MassArt from having heard and accepted one side of the story. Now I am neutral. I always did admire Switzerland for not having been in a foreign war since 1515.

Fred Camper
Chicago