I'd like to let frameworkers know about a record that has just been
released relating to a film performance I've been working on for what seems
like aeons of time!

Film as Fabric is the third release in the new Industrial Folklore Tapes
series and is constructed from live recordings of the performance tilted
‘Film as Fabric', which examines relationships between textile practice,
filmmaking and sound. From 2012-2016, my studio practice and numerous
performances took place in Rogue Artist Studios at Crusader Mill in
Manchester, formerly a production site of machinery for the cotton industry
and a garment works. The performance has been enriched by exploration of
Lancashire’s industrial heritage and my family history, which includes
workers in cotton mills and expert needlewomen.

Film as Fabric repeatedly involves sound in physical formats through
optical sound, work song and recordings of weaving machinery on vinyl
records, the amplified mechanisms of the film projector and sewing machine,
and my voice. The performance highlights the now obsolete industrial
practice of linear film editing and shows photochemical film as a
sculptural reflective fabric, measured and worn on the body, cut with
scissors and stitched on the sewing machine. Through the filmmaking
technology of optical sound, fabric and stitch patterns are transformed
into noise, referring to a lesser-known sonic world associated with textile
production. The recordings are of live performances at Full of Noises
Festival 2015, and in 2016 at Islington Mill, Manchester Histories Festival
and Radio Revolten International Festival of Radio Art.

The release is limited to only 250 editions and comprises of a ten inch
record in gatefold sleeve with a twelve page black and white machine sewn
booklet and a 16mm black and white patterned fabric photogram.  It is
priced at £15.00 plus shipping.

http://www.folkloretapes.co.uk/product/industrial-folklore-tapes-vol-iii-film-as-fabric-mary-stark

The Wire magazine recently featured the release in their print issue 414
and shared a video I made at Quarry Bank Mill of industrial textile
machinery that informed the development of the performance
https://www.thewire.co.uk/video/mary-stark-shares-some-visual-research