PS.

I once entered a festival that only accepted a certain amount of entries and
cut off all entries sent after a specific deadline. This may be a way towards a
solution. I would like to know how many films I am competing with. If a
festival allows 2700 entries, such as Ann Arbor, I never would have submitted
my work.

I would have taken the $40 entry and bought lottery tickets were I stand a
better chance of winning.