I'd bve interested if someone up on the latest in academicese weighs in with something different, but to me this looks like a standard use of the word "affect" as a noun. Here is what I take the be the relevant definition from the OED:

"the outward display of emotion or mood, as manifested by facial expression, posture, gestures, tone of voice, etc."

Fred Camper
Chicago