True, there is that "We,"  and I think you're right about the preferability of
"Stone Age emotions," since, being basically the same kind of creatures today
as those that evolved some 250,000 years ago, our emotions are even older --
far older -- than the stone age, and we would do well to know and accept
ourselves, rather than embracing some ideology of imperative progress that
judges us inadequate.  I allowed myself, reading the quotation, to gloss over
the references to "a Star Wars civilization" and "godlike technology."

So your criticism of this quotation is as on-target as a criticism of
sociobiology etc. in general.  Discussion is a great curative to not seeing
clearly!

Perhaps "we" in this context can be understood, then, as a reference, not to
all of humanity, but to the subculture of which Mr. Wilson is a part?

If we're unpacking Wilson's words, I took particular umbrage at the idea of
"godlike technology." Technology is not a living being, and certainly not a
god. It has no will.  It may have a nature that more or less perceptibly guides
the actions of those who use it -- as the old saying puts it, when all you have
is a hammer, everything looks like a nail -- but I don't think  that  having
that sort of influence on human action qualifies it as "godlike," certainly not
in any positive sense of that term.  It is just a tool, wielded by someone for
some purpose, regardless of the other purposes it might conceivably serve.  It
is developed by someone, controlled by someone according to some rules
dictating its availability to anyone else.  It is never neutral.

A case in point is that we (and by this I am referring to many of us all over
the world) are awaiting a Corona virus vaccine -- a technology, a tool -- but
what then?  It's not as if it will magically appear everywhere for everyone.
Who will own it?  What rules will be applied to its production, its
availability, its distribution?  As Shoshana Zuboff might ask, Who decides?
Who decides who decides?

To bring this back to film (or at least to movies), there was, some forty years
ago, a movie that I saw at an "art" cinema about sociobiology, that, among
other things, depicted (as I recall) an office conflict between two executive
types, then repeated the scene with characters in giant rat costumes, to make
the sociobiological point.  Does anyone remember what that film was?  As a
teenager, I thought it was clever, but in light of Francisco's thoughts, I
wonder how it would seem now, and what other ideas in it might have got into my
head, unnoticed...

Also, I feel like I haven't seen Contagion or any of the films or shows about
pandemics.  How do they usually deal with the political side of a cure or
vaccination -- who owns it, who gets it, who decides, who decides who decides
-- as opposed to the technical side of it?