For anyone who has seen the movie, Memento, here's why I began this line of
posting:

By making reference to Memento, I meant to suggest a direction for
experiment in film. I was reading from Matter and Memory and realized that
Bergson makes a distinction that bears on the understanding of Leonard's
problem.

Memento presents a guy who suffers from memory loss. But what does this
mean? It became clear this past quarter that the experience of memory loss
was to be shared by the viewer, and it was an effect that was to be
accomplished by editing. Let's say you have a scene involving two events
that follow one another. You shoot it in real time, then cut the film in
half and reverse the order of the halves.

Without the first half in mind, a viewer isn't forgetting what happens, but
watching the second half first will be like forgetting what precedes it.
Unlike Leonard, we then see the earlier half, as if we could suddenly
remember it. Leonard would never be shown the earlier half. There would
never be that moment when one realizes that what one is seeing (or
imagining) came earlier in time than something one just witnessed.

Bergson draws a distinction between memory as it works in recognition and
the kind of memory that involves an image. When Leonard recalls life with
his wife, he brings to mind an image of them together. And his memory loss
consists in no longer being capable of generating new images like these.
But recognition doesn't involve the recall of an image. You might have
noticed that Leonard almost always recognizes Teddy.

Within the film itself we have the case that Leonard recounts while on the
phone. it dates from his days as an insurance adjuster prior to his brain
lesion. Leonard's suspicions about Sammy Jankin's claim were aroused when
Leonard thought Sammy recognized him as Leonard showed up at Sammy's door.

So Leonard arranges to test Sammy's memory. And he does it by arranging to
have Sammy take a test that involves the acquisition of new motor memories.
A person unable to form new memory images could still learn not to pick up
a small metal piece that has been wired to give an electric shock. It is a
learning that does not involve image recall.

Bergson offers an example to explain the two. Suppose you rehearse a song
until you learn it. Each time you rehearse it, you have to run through it
in time for as much of it as you have learned. Memory in this case does not
involve an image. You might, however, remember a particular day on which
you were practicing. The sun was shining as you did your rehearsal and you
stood near the window. That would be an image of a particular occasion.

I was charmed to find that elements of the plot in Memento fulfilled a good
deal of what Bergson would have wanted to say about Leonard and memory
disorders.
Of course, when I posted, I wasn't really intending to give such attention
to a film of this kind. We get stuck with certain films for teaching and
then find ourselves reading to supplement what we're going to have to say.

The invitation to think about experimental film and photography initiated
my recall of that week's lesson plan, which exceeded anything I would have
expected to be talking about.

Bernie