Hi, friends! We're up to 619 on this list now--it keeps growing. In order not 
to burden those who want the column only, I'm going to start putting my 
comments & hey-howdy at the bottom, where they can be easily skipped, rather 
than the top. 

However if you want to "play along at home," as you read through this column, 
be thinking of how you would title it. I just signed on to see what Beliefnet 
chose, and I'm kind of taken aback. More at the bottom.

***
Give me liberty or give me death. Or give me something else. Staying alive, 
but under the rule of another nation? Yeah, that sounds all right, too. 
    
Scandalous thoughts, especially this time of year. I'm a conservative 
Christian, born an American, born into the idea of faith intertwined with 
freedom. But I've been thinking over something I read recently. During the 
Jewish rebellion against Rome in the first century, religious leaders were 
the last to join the cause. They worked for peace and opposed revolution 
because, as one historian put it, "Roman rule presented no serious threat to 
Jewish religion." In other words, overthrowing an oppressive government 
wasn't a requisite of the faith. 

This was a startling idea to me. But as I looked in my Bible concordance, I 
saw that the terms "freedom" and "liberty" are much rarer than I had thought 
and usually refer to freedom from sin or the Law. Political freedom is not 
presumed to be an unmixed good. Self-governance could lead to carelessness 
with the faith, while life under oppression could bear spiritual fruit. 

Perhaps the Jewish priests' resistance to war against Rome was mere 
pragmatism; as it turned out, the rebellion was suicidal and Jerusalem was 
destroyed.

But Jesus, speaking at the same time, took it further. He taught his 
followers radical detachment from earthly power: "My kingdom is not of this 
world." He taught them not just to endure but to love their enemies.

America under the control of England, Israel under the control of Rome--how 
do they stack up? On one side, we see Patriots mowing down rows of Redcoat 
soldiers; on the other, we hear Jesus saying we should obey a Roman soldier 
and even offer to carry his pack a second mile (Matthew 5:41). On one side, 
Patriots are tossing tea into the harbor in defiance of British taxes; on the 
other, Jesus miraculously produces a coin to pay his Roman taxes (Matthew 
17:27). 

Yes, the Revolutionary War and the teachings of Jesus: They go together like 
a cake and a bowling ball. 

I'm not saying that there isn't much to admire in the story of our nation's 
birth. The liberation of our nation required great courage, and the 
establishment of our unprecedented government required genius. I'm very 
grateful that I was born in this land in freedom. No, I don't want to go back 
to England, where everything, even toast, is cooked by boiling, and babies 
are afflicted with those wispy names, like Nigel, that were too feeble to 
cross the Atlantic.

However, it looks like the biblical teaching is that liberty is not necessary 
to the spiritual life--not even all that important in the larger scheme of 
things. The establishment of the American democracy isn't an illustration of 
biblical principles. It's rather an illustration of "the course of human 
events"--the kind of thing that happens in human history. At regular 
intervals, people have wars, and somebody wins and somebody loses. The one 
who wins gets a bonus prize: He gets to interpret what just happened. From 
his point of view, of course, what happened was just plain wonderful. Justice 
was served. Everyone on our side was heroic, and everyone on the other side 
was dastardly.

We are taught these views early and absorb them without question. It seems 
right for Yankees to rebel against England but wrong for Confederates to 
rebel against Yankees. It seems right to fight to set slaves free, but wrong 
for Native Americans to resist our taking their land. From the perspective of 
the winner, however things turned out is exactly the way they should have. A 
naive reader of history would find it a delightful story, because there is a 
happy ending every time. 

Perhaps the way things turn out is always the way God wants it. More likely, 
things turn out the way God permits it, though his plan may not be 
comprehensible to us until the end, like that of a master chess player. But 
beyond that, we can't draw conclusions.

A person living in liberty, and one living under oppression, has full access 
to the same God. Each has the same potential for spiritual growth. A person 
who has power or wealth is not necessarily a better disciple than one who 
does not. In fact, given the tendency of power to corrupt and wealth to 
smother, the one who has less may be more spiritually free, even in chains. 

It was clear to the early Christians that the great danger is attachment to 
these things, not the things in themselves. The love of money--not money 
itself--is the root of all evil. A rich person hoarding wealth and a poor 
person enviously craving it run the same spiritual danger. Instead, 
detachment is the key: "I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content. 
I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound," said St. Paul. A steady 
heart can be maintained despite turbulent outside circumstances--despite 
blatant unfairness. 

A few years later, Paul was beheaded for his faith. For centuries, Christians 
were accused of atheism (because they denied Roman gods) and cannibalism 
(because of wild rumors about the Eucharist). They were tortured to death as 
public entertainment. Yet even then, they did not vow political freedom from 
their oppressors. They did not try to kill their persecutors or demand to be 
given liberty or death. They were willing to die, but not to kill, for their 
faith.

"Where your treasure is, your heart will be also," said Jesus. That treasure 
is Jesus himself, and, grounded in him, believers could go beyond being 
concerned for their own rights. Instead of shooting their enemies, they could 
love them or at least die trying.

So let's not confuse our dramatic American story with the example of Jesus 
and the early Christians. They, too, knew political oppression, and they 
chose a different path. We enjoy liberty, but we should recognize that it is 
not a requirement for, or a guarantee of, spiritual health. Scripture doesn't 
exhort us to seek first political freedom but to seek the Kingdom of God, 
since we can follow our Lord no matter what our earthly lot. The epistle to 
the Hebrews says, "Here we have no continuing city."

I'm grateful to have the United States for my "temporary city," grateful that 
I was born in this magnificent land and enjoy freedom others died to secure. 
That's undeserved bounty but not a text of spiritual instruction. It's good 
to celebrate on the Fourth with friends and fireworks, beer and a hot dog. 
One of those off the grill--not boiled. 

*****

Now, this is obviously a sensitive sort of column, especially on a day like 
today, and I felt bad about coming across as a Captain Bringdown. So I tried 
to couch it carefully, make the point repeatedly and distinguish it from 
other possible points that I *wasn't* making, etc. 

But I heard from editors last night that they wanted to title it boldly, to 
make sure people read it. (It is, in fact, the lead on the site tonight.) So 
the title they wanted to use was "America is Not God's Favorite Country." 

Urk. I wrote back that I really didn't like that, it was too flat-footed, 
could we have a title that suggested rethinking rather than a flat claim--a 
claim about something I couldn't possibly know, anyway. I suggested some 
alternatives, like "Untangling Faith and Freedom" or even "God's Favorite 
Country? Not So Fast." 

So I was disappointed to click on tonight and see this on the main site, 
under an illustration of the flag: 

<<America is Not God's Favorite Country
So says one conservative Christian. In fact, Frederica Mathewes-Green argues 
that a free country isn't necessary–or even desirable–for God's blessing. >>

Oh, man. That's like a shoe that's too tight. It doesn't fit, in a lot of 
ways. When you go to the article itself it says:

<<Give Me Patriotism or Give Me Faith 
The story of our nation's birth is inspiring but not really relevant to our 
faith journeys.>> 

Again, this is just off the mark. Well, the lesson is, never assume that a 
writer chose the headline; the writer may be cringing at the headline. 
Unfortunately, the headline has great power to condition how readers take in 
the piece. Already there's one message in the mini-board about "if you don't 
like it here" and "quit your bitching" :-) which I suspect are responding 
more to the tone of the title and subheads than the content of the piece 
itself. 

The recent controversy over CS Lewis was due at least in part to a similar 
headline mishap. I picked up the NYTimes that morning and was shocked to read 
"Marketing Narnia without a Christian Lion." I formed the immediate idea that 
someone planned to strip the Christian symbolism from the Narnia books, and 
it governed every paragraph I read. It wasn't till I got to the end that I 
realized the story contained nothing related to that scary idea, and then I 
had to read the story a couple more times to erase that mistaken notion and 
discern what it *did* say. 

The tossup is, generally I am willing to let the editor's judgement rule in 
the case of headlines, even in this case. The editor is in the position of a 
host introducing two people at a party. They know me and they know the 
reader, and they're in the best position to summarize my article so that 
readers will be interested. If it were up to me, all my headlines would be 
much more soft and nuanced, they'd have a lot of "perhaps" and all that stuff 
straight-shooting editors hate and that readers take as a signal for Boredom 
Ahead. A headline that charges up the battery will be more likely to get 
readers to actually read, whereas my impulse to be subtle might just produce 
yawns. Personally, I'd like all my columns to be titled "Here Are Some 
Interesting Thoughts From a Nice Person Whom You Would Really Like If You 
Knew Her." Then maybe some flowers. So far no editor has gone for this. 

By the way, my reading about the Jewish war is because I'm writing a chapter 
on that tragic episode for a forthcoming initial volume in a series of books 
of Christian history, kind of like the Time Life World War II series. It 
looks to be a fascinating project. More on that as it appears. 

Do have a happy fourth--even my fellow Orthodox, who (since it's a Wednesday) 
will skip the beer and hot dog! 

*******************************
Frederica Mathewes-Green
            www.frederica.com

Reply via email to