Here's a review of a movie you may not get a chance to see--it's having a
limited opening and may fall quickly from sight. Not a big loss. I glanced
at the novel and I think it hangs together better than the movie, probably
because the book is told in the first person.

I had gotten out of the routine of sending an alert each time a new podcast
airs. Here are the most recent ones:

July 3 -- some thoughts about Democracy, and how it requires us to put faith
on the back burner

http://audio.ancientfaith.com/frederica/fhn_2008-07-02.mp3

July 10 -- a visit with Basil Athas, the most memorable character in Facing
East

http://audio.ancientfaith.com/frederica/fhn_2008-07-10.mp3

July 17 -- review of "Wall-E"

 http://audio.ancientfaith.com/frederica/fhn_2008-07-17.mp3

*************

Diminished Capacity

Stars: 2

Rated: NR

Genre:  Comedy

Theater Release: July 4, 2008, Plum Pictures / IFC Films

Directed by: Terry Kinney

Runtime: 1 hour 28 min

Cast: Matthew Broderick (Cooper), Alan Alda (Uncle Rollie), Virginia Madsen
(Charlotte), Dylan Baker (Mad Dog McClure), Bobby Cannavale (Lee Vivyan)

  There's virtually nothing harmful in "Diminished Capacity," a mild comedy
about the difficulty of selling a rare baseball card when you're a
picturesque old geezer with a faulty memory. The most appreciative audience
will be, in fact, not the one that is interested in geezers, but the one
that is interested in baseball; more specifically, interested in baseball
fans and their fanaticisms (particularly the incandescence of those devoted
to the "Lovable Losers," the Chicago Cubs).

 The story begins with Cooper Zerbs, mild-mannered editor with a Chicago
news syndicate, who intervenes in a fight between a girl and a drunk
coworker and ends up with a concussion. When we meet him, he's been
convalescing for months, but still doesn't notice that the words of love in
a strip cartoon should be coming from the mouth of the woman, not the dog.
However, he has a new worry; his mother says that eccentric uncle Rollie is
becoming more unhinged, and she needs Cooper to wrestle him into the kind of
eldercare known as "benign confinement."

 Cooper arrives at the ramshackle family home in rural Missouri to find that
Rollie is continuing his longterm hobby of collecting poetry from fish. He
has set up an old typewriter on the pier, with an unbaited hook tied to
every key; on occasion the keys are tugged, and Rollie attempts to extricate
words from gibberish. (This quirk inspires a lovely opening title sequence.)
He's convinced that the fish are poetic prodigies; they are "deep." But now
he's developing new hobbies, such as drying socks by turning on a propane
burner and letting it hiss for long minutes as he tries to strike a match.
Cooper's mom has reason for concern.

 Rollie is determined to finish his life at the old house, and plans to
finance that by selling a 1909 Chicago Cubs baseball card given to him by
his grandfather. A baseball memorabilia convention is conveniently taking
place in Chicago that weekend, so Cooper and Rollie plan to make the trip to
find a good buyer, even though they both suffer some degree of "dim cap."

 But that's not all. Charlotte, Cooper's one-time love, now divorced, is
also going to Chicago that weekend, to attempt to sell one of her paintings
to a restaurant chain. Once they arrive at Cooper's apartment, they acquire
two more companions: Charlotte's bum of a brother, Doug, who has been trying
to steal the card, and Stan, the formerly-drunk and now deeply penitent
coworker, who keeps Doug in line. They troop off to the convention, where
they talk to "Mad Dog" McClure, a passionate Cubs fan and square-dealer who
recognizes the card's value and offers to bring them some serious buyers,
and Lee Vivyan, an angry loudmouth who tries to cheat them of the card.

 We're now up to 6 colorful characters, and I'm leaving out Cooper's mom,
Cooper's editor, Charlotte's son, and rustic, gun-toting neighbor Wendell
Kendall. Some of these are shoehorned into the story so quickly that their
peculiarities seem not so much intriguing as artificial and arbitrary. A
story that began as modestly interesting becomes merely agitated, as the
second half of the film involves chases and fights that look oddly lame and
suspense that isn't suspenseful.

 I wonder if all this just worked better as a book. The novel was written by
Sherwood Kiraly (who also wrote the screenplay, with additional material by
Doug Bost). In the book Cooper serves as narrator, and his impairment
transmits the story in a style that is quiet, compact, and uncomplicated.
This can be charming ("Uncle Rollie was the kind of man other men gather
around, if only to get mad"), but on the screen Broderick can only signal
this inner state by looking befuddled or blank, his shiny dark eyes
resembling those of a teddy bear. It's hard to center a movie around a
character whose main attribute is vacancy. Alda is admirable as Uncle
Rollie-indeed, it's hard to fault anyone's performance-but the deeper themes
that should be part of such a story are simply missing. There is real
poignancy to the loss of memory in old age, but the film skirts that and
opts for sentiment instead.

 And, unfortunately, it delivers the sentiment in a hokey way. When
Charlotte tells Cooper that he and Rollie should use the money from the
card's sale to reopen a local restaurant, Cooper delivers this clunky line:
"Y'know, we just got tested at the doctor. We came out slow and slower. What
the hell makes you think we can pull something like that off? You're
dreaming, OK? We're not restaurateurs; we can't even keep track of a piece
of cardboard." Thank goodness, we're spared a concluding sequence showing
the gang laughing their way through a madcap evening at the wildly
successful restaurant. There are some things I'd rather not have to try to
forget.

 Talk About It

 1. "Diminished Capacity" introduces us to baseball fans who have a
consuming intensity about the game and its artifacts. Does this outlet for
love and loyalty substitute for something better? Is it fair to call this
idolatry?

 2. It's been said that loss of memory means loss of personality. As the
history that organized a personality fades, the person loses touch with the
sources of love or joy that previously fired his emotional life, and may
become stuck in a single condition such as fear or anger. But occasionally
those losses do a person good; for example, when the reasons for long-term
resentment are forgotten, the person may recover an earlier sweetness. Have
you seen someone helped by the loss of memory in old age?

 3. "Diminished Capacity" is about memory, but on a subtler level it's also
about being remembered. Rollie says that he has almost forgotten his
grandfather, but when he looks at the baseball card it is as if the man is
standing in front of him. At the conclusion, a line from "Ol' Man River" is
cited: "He don't plant 'taters, he don't plant cotton, and them that plants
them are soon forgotten." What does it mean to be remembered? What one thing
would you hope would be passed on to future generations about you?

 The Family Corner: There is occasional language, of the milder sort. Also,
a couple of fight sequences, but not bloody and somewhat comical.

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com