My podcast this week is on a minor character in an article on Fr. Rick
Frechette and his ministry in Haiti, by Matt Labash in a recent Weekly
Standard <http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/love-among-ruins>.

When Labash asks the group of Haitians, "Who wants to eat lunch?" one of
them says "I will."
<http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/frederica/i_will>Labash thinks he
must be the one who speaks English, but it turns out that
is the only English he knows. Unexpectedly, I found a lot to ponder in that
brief exchange.

Tonight Orthodox churches will be offering the Great Canon of St. Andrew of
Crete, in complete form (during the first week of Lent we offer a quarter of
it four nights in a row.) This is the beautiful, Scripture-filled hymn from
the 8th century that I broke into 40 devotions in my book *First Fruits of
Prayer*<http://www.paracletepress.com/first-fruits-of-prayer-a-fortyday-journey-through-the-ancient-great-canon.html>.
Since this service is offered only once a year, tonight's the night to
hear it.

And on Friday night Orthodox churches will offer the complete Akathist to
the Theotokos, written by St. Romanos in the early 6th century; this is the
third of the texts I translate and annotate in my book *The Lost Gospel of
Mary*<http://www.paracletepress.com/the-lost-gospel-of-mary-the-mother-of-jesus-in-three-ancient-texts.html>.
During the past four weeks we offered a fourth of it each Friday night, but
this Friday is the whole thing. This is, likewise, a once-a-year service,
and this is the time to catch it.

Those services means that this is the fifth week of Lent! On Wednesday of
next week, we will have the last Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts for this
year. This liturgy, attributed to St Gregory the Great (probably he edited
it from an earlier version) in the 6th century, is for many Orthodox the
favorite service of the whole year. There is something sweet and humble
about it that is profoundly moving.

Friday of next week begins the march toward Pascha. From then on there will
be a service every night, throughout Holy Week and right up to the Pascha
service on Saturday night. Many of these once-a-year services are also well
worth absorbing. Check local listings--and have a beautiful conclusion to
Lent.

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com