>From the Love to Know Recipes website...
* 1 large cup sugar
* 1-¾ cups water
* 4 tablespoons cornstarch
* Grated rind of 1 lemon
* 3 tablespoons lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons vegetable butter
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1 egg separated
* Pie crust
* Lemon extract
* 1 Tbsp. cold water
* 2 Tbsp. sugar
1. Mix the sugar and the starch thoroughly.
2. Bring water, salt, and lemon rind to a boil, pour gradually over the
starch and sugar mixture, and stir smooth.
3. Return to the fire, and boil until thick and clear.
4. Separate the yolk from the white, beat the yolk and the lemon juice,
and pour in a little of the hot mixture, stirring so as not to cook the yolk.
5. Briskly stir the yolk mixture into the cooked starch, and continue
to stir over the fire for a few moments, but do not boil.
6. Set off the fire, add the butter, mix and pour into a crust shell
and set aside.
7. Add to the white 1 tablespoon cold water and a sprinkle of salt, and
beat until very foamy; then add gradually, while beating, 2 tablespoons sugar,
and continue to beat until firm enough to spread nicely.
8. Flavor with lemon extract, spread over the pie, and brown lightly in
the oven at 200 degrees.
NOTE - The mixture should never be boiled after the lemon juice is added, as
that would cut the starch and thin the mixture.
~~~***Rhonda G in Missouri***~~~
Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.