>From the Cooks Recipes website...
Jubilee Chocolate Cake
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1 1/2 cups cake flour or 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided use
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Vanilla ice cream
Flaming Cherry Sauce (recipe follows)
Quick and Easy Flaming Cherry Sauce (recipe follows)
1. Stir baking soda into buttermilk in medium bowl until dissolved; set
2. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
3. Stir together flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa and salt. Add oil,
buttermilk mixture, egg yolks and vanilla; beat until smooth.
4. Beat egg whites in small bowl until soft peaks form; gradually add
remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
5. Gently fold egg whites into chocolate batter. Pour batter into
6. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cake springs back when touched
lightly in center. Cool in pan.
7. Cut into squares; top each square with scoop of ice cream and
serving of Flaming Cherry Sauce.
Makes 12 to 15 servings.
* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
Flaming Cherry Sauce:
1 (16 or 17-ounces) can pitted dark or light sweet cherries, drained (reserve
3/4 cup liquid)
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
1/4 cup cherry-flavored liqueur or brandy
1. Stir together reserved cherry liquid, sugar, cornstarch and salt in
chafing dish or medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly,
until mixture boils, about 1 minute. Add cherries and orange peel; heat
2. Gently heat liqueur in small saucepan over low heat; pour over
3. Carefully ignite with match.
4. Stir gently; serve as directed.. (Repeat procedure for sufficient
amount of sauce for entire cake.)
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Quick and Easy Flaming Cherry Sauce: Combine 1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie
filling with 1/4 cup orange juice in chafing dish or medium saucepan; heat
thoroughly. Gently heat 1/4 cup kirsch (cherry-flavored liqueur) in small
saucepan; pour over cherry mixture. Carefully ignite with match. Stir gently;
serve as directed. (Repeat procedure for sufficient amount of sauce for entire
cake.) Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Hershey Company, Copyright
Rhonda G in Missouri