This was submitted by Nancy [EMAIL PROTECTED] on Rhonda_Recipe_Exchange (group
Glazed Corned Beef and Cabbage
* This is Quite a bit of work in perpring this dish, but well work
the effort. especially if you like authenic corned beef and cabbage.
Makes a nice family sunday dinner! "EXCELLENT" ~~~ 6 - 8 Servings
3 pounds Corned Beef Brisket With Spice packet
3 cans low-sodium Beef broth plus additional Water
1 (12 ounce) can Beer
10 Cloves Garlic, peeled,whole
1 Tablespoon whole peppercorns
10 small red potatoes
5 carrots, cut julienned style strips
2 small onions, quarted
1 large head cabbage, cut into 2" wide wedges
1. Perpare the glaze and horseradish (below)
2. Trim the excess fat from brisket
3. Place the brisket in to a very large pot/ Dutch oven. Add the beef
broth, beer, spice packet, whole garlic cloves and enough water to
cover the brisket. Put lid on the pot, bring to a boil and then reduce
to a simmer. Simmer approxiately 50 minutes per pound or until tendeer.
4. After the meat is done, add the potatoes, carrots and onions. Cook
until veggies are almost done. (about 30 minutes)
5. Add cabbage wedges and cook an additional 25-30 minutes.
6. While the cabbage is cooking, Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
7. After the cabbage is done, place all the veggies in a bowl. (Except
for the garlic), Place the brisket on a plate.
8. Mash the garlic cloves to blend into the liquid, pour as much of the
liquid as desire over the veggies. Cover the veggies with alumiunm foil
to keep warm. (*NOTE: Reserve some of the liquid to baste the brisket
in the nezt step.)
9.Return the Brisket to the pan and spread the glaze evenly over the
brisket. Bake uncoversd about 20 minutes, basting often (add a little
more liquid if glaze sticks to the pan.)
10. Slice the meat across the grain and serve with Horseradish sauce.
GLAZE: (Combine all ingredients and mix well)
1 cup Apricot preserves
4 Tablespoons light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon perpared mustard
1 cup cooking liquid or water
HORSERADISH SAUCE: (Combine all ingredients and blend well, Chill!)
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/4 cup Mayonnaise
2 Tablespoon perpared Horseradish
2 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
Rhonda G in Missouri