Viennese Vanilla Cookies

Recipe courtesy Lenora Brown
Show:  Food Network Specials
Episode:  Winning Holiday Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups sifted flour
1 1/4 cups shaved Almonds (not the slivered almonds, but the flat cuts
w/ bits of brown on them)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
Confectioner' s Sugar for decorationCream butter and add sugar. Add 1/2 cup of
flour mixing after each addition. Add remaining ingredients. Shape into a disk
and then chill for 30 minutes. You can also put the dough in the freezer at
this point.
Begin to roll the dough the dough so that it is about 1/4-inch thick or a
little more. Cut with cookie cutters. Place dough on parchment paper or a
greased cookie sheet. I prefer using parchment paper. It's just easier.
Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Bake for 12 to 13 minutes or until the edges are
a bit brown. You may need to lower your oven to 325 degrees F..
You can also freeze or chill the dough in a log shape rather than a disk. If
you do this, simply cut small rounds about 1/4 inch thick and place these
rounds on the lined cookie sheet. These bake for 15 minutes. (This works well,
if you want to transport dough to a friend's house and have kids form the
cookies.)
Once the cookies come out of the oven, either cool them on the cookie sheet or
move the parchment paper to a cookie rack. As the cookies cool, but before
they're fully cooled, sprinkle with confectioner' s sugar.
Arrange on a plate and don't blink because they'll disappear before you open
your eyes. Eat.
That's the classic Brown family cookie. Without it Christmas simply isn't
Christmas. Sometimes I bring a batch from my Chicago home and that simply
doesn't work. My sister and mother are upset that the house doesn't smell like
Christmas... no cookie smell in the air.. I'm often required to make many
batches...and the cookies are eaten at all times
and for all meals.
These were the cookies we left for Santa....He regularly gobbled them up,
leaving only a few crumbs on the plate and a note that said, "These are
excellent cookies, the best I've had." In retrospect, the writing looked an
awful lot like my father's... If they're good enough for Santa, I think they're
good enough for anyone.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. Food
Network Kitchens has not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make
representation as to the results.

--
Rhonda G in Missouri
.