The most important metric, is does the GUI impede, or support the
persons workflow.

Measing distance travelled and mouse clicks seems like a Desktop
Taylorism.  Time and motion in GNOME.

I don't think the GUI is hugely important anyway, as long as it
accomodates the user.  To much importance is placed on rejigging it IMO.