Hi Matt,

thanks for forwarding, an interesting piece - though of course
provocative to the Stallman Free-Software "hard-liners". (Uh-oh,
probably further stoked the flames - no offense intended guys ;) ).

A la ESR's reasoning, in my research work I'm interested in the
problem of the use of proprietary software for scientific research and
public policy making, e.g. climate change research, transport planning
etc.

It looks like in ESR's framework this falls mainly under the topic of
"agency harm" - 'They can use this asymmetry to restrict your choices,
control your data, and extract rent from you. I’ll call this “agency
harm”'.

A good PPT talk about this particular problem of proprietary software
by a US researcher is at
http://www.slideshare.net/ianfoster/e-science-foster-december-2010

cheers, Pat.