On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Ben Finney <
ben+freesoftw...@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Adrian Colomitchi <acolomit...@gmail.com>
> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 20:30 +1000, Astrid Nova wrote:
>>
>> > Please have a look at and send on the article linked to below on an
>> > issue that could affect us all catastrophically. The article
>> > supplies a really good argument against what the government is
>> > mooting.
>>
>> "Could affect"? Why the past tense?
>
> That's not the past tense; the word “could” doesn't tell you whether
> it's past, present or future.
Ok. I'm not a native english speaker, my apologies.

> Rather, “could” in this usage is the subjunctive of “can”. Astrid is
> saying that it's possible, at some point in time, for the issue to
> affect us all catastrophically.

Maybe some will consider the following an overreaction, but from *my* *personal
*point of view,* it is already catastrophic* that the police (and,
potentially, ATO and who knows which other executive branches of
governance for the future) is able to request any ISP to "press the
recording button" *without a judiciary oversight*. Also, in my view, the
"to view the recordings, one needs a warrant" provision make little
difference to the way I see the issue.

Adrian