Howdy all,

From the Ford Foundation [0] comes a report this month about the public
infrastructure that everyone in modern society relies on: free software.

The report is named _Roads and Bridges: The Unseen Labor Behind Our
Digital Infrastructure_ [1], where they refer to free software as
“shared code”:

    Everybody relies on shared code to write software, including Fortune
    500 companies, government, major software companies and startups. In
    a world driven by technology, we are putting increased demand on
    those who maintain our digital infrastructure. Yet because these
    communities are not highly visible, the rest of the world has been
    slow to notice.

    Just like physical infrastructure, digital infrastructure needs
    regular upkeep and maintenance. But financial support for digital
    infrastructure is much harder to come by.

    In the face of unprecedented demand, the costs of not supporting our
    digital infrastructure are numerous. No individual company or
    organization is incentivized to address the public good problem
    alone. In order to support our digital infrastructure, we must find
    ways to work together.

You may even recognise some of the names who helped Nadia Eghbal in her
work of writing this comprehensive report. This looks like a good
resource for talking with people in a position to fund free software.

[0] http://www.fordfoundation.org/about-us/
[1]
http://www.fordfoundation.org/library/reports-and-studies/roads-and-bridges-the-unseen-labor-behind-our-digital-infrastructure
    http://ur1.ca/picgc

--
 \       “I watched the Indy 500, and I was thinking that if they left |
  `\         earlier they wouldn't have to go so fast.” —Steven Wright |