On 05/07/18 03:01, Andrew Pam wrote:
> On 05/07/18 01:31, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>> Yes, I think it is best to always put the ISPs modem in bridge mode if
>> you can -- but VoIP /may/ be one thing that stops people from doing so.
>
> I have a Sipura 3000 VoIP adapter behind the Technicolor modem, because
> the built-in VoIP doesn't work in bridged mode.  But most people use
> mobiles these days and barely use landlines.  Businesses might want to
> run Asterisk and use VoIP handsets.

Yes, your own ATAs solve some of the problem, but you need to be
provided with the VoIP login/setup details.

I wouldn't run an Asterisk server as there is far too great a risk of
massive bills if your server is compromised or somehow mis-configured
enough.  To me, it's not worth the risk.  I do use Sipsorcery though,
one of very few pay for subscription services that I subscribe to.

A.