The petition linked against doesn't seem effective against the proposed
legislation (The Assistance and Access Bill 2018).

By section 317ZG this proposed legislation can't be used to compel a
company to build (or prevent fixing) a "systemic" weakness/vulnerability
into a form of electronic protection.
This provision was likely put in place to show that it doesn't seeks to
weaken encryption standards, ban encryption, or require "backdoors".
However entities can be compelled to assist access to devices or
services, to remove protections where they are capable to do so, and to
build capabilities where they are not. It's not clear what systemic is,
and there is little external oversight or protections for whistleblowers.

Any effective petition against the legislation will specifically address
these points.

The Conversation article gives a reasonable summary:
https://theconversation.com/the-devil-is-in-the-detail-of-government-bill-to-enable-access-to-communications-data-96909

The proposed legislation is still open for comments until September 10th.