"Michael Verrenkamp" <jabj...@fastmail.com.au> writes:

> While this warning has not been seen universally by users and it
> appears to be in the trail stage, this is a very worrying for the free
> and open internet and the software that we use on it. Essentially the
> software maker, being Google, is able to dictate what people can use
> online using their software platform and online websites.

While not directly related to web browsers, I am very concerned with an
email I received from Google today saying that they intend to phase out
support for username/password authentication for LSA ("less secure
apps") using protocols such as IMAP, and require using OAuth
authentication instead. Presumably this is another way of saying they
plan to phase out application specific passwords too.

I am not aware of any open source IMAP client software that can use
OAuth.

They may say they are doing this in the name of security, but to me it
looks very much like a movement against open source software.
--
Brian May <br...@linuxpenguins.xyz>
https://linuxpenguins.xyz/brian/