On 17 Aug, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] discourseth:
>>
>> You can get around this. I don't know about other decoders, but with
>> the Xing decoder (which we are using) you should be able to feed the
>> decoder the preceding frame(s) and decode them, toss them and then
>> decode the frame you want.
>
> Oooh..if there's a limit to how many frames we need to `prime' with
> then this sounds good.

OK, here is the scoop. Given that you are seeking to frame n, you may
need to back up m frames, decode and toss these m frames and then
docode and use frame n. The hitch is that m is not known a priori -- it
varies depending on the bitrate. It may be large with low bitrate
streams. I know where in the decoder to check to see if the decoder is
'happy' with the decoded frame.

Given this, I suggest that we can modify the decoder to include this
check and then through empirical tests find out how many frames we need
to back up given a particular bitrate. We can implement the seek so
that it would be intelligent enough to catch when its guess as to how
far to back up was wrong, and have it back up further.

At this point, I will do some of these empirical tests to see what the
realistic numbers are. Then, we can take a look at it and see if we
want to proceed with this approach.

However, I will not be able to get around to doing that until mid
september since Burning Man is just around the corner. How does that
sound?

> Hmm..if this all came together it would truly be a breakthrough.
> Thanks mucho for you enthusiasm!!

I really like your idea, so its easy for me to get excited about this.
One other thing I was thinking about -- since FreeAmp deals with the
input and the output, would it make sense to have FreeAmp also deal
with the output? That way you get suppport for 3 platforms, with 5
different sound architectures.

>> > Now, I know you could do this really easily, but I don't think you
>> > should until/unless the other concerns are resolved.  I really hope
>> > I'm wrong about them.  Please let me know if you find out anything.
>>
>> Ok, I see where you're coming from. That should be easy enough to do.
>
> BTW, I've familiarized myself with the xing API, so ultimately I can
> use either that or a frame-server depending on what works out best
> all-around.

Cool, even if you don't want to use FreeAmp, I can help you build a
more accurate seek.

--ruaok         Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert