answering you to the best of my knowledge ...

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Alex Martin wrote:

>     Hello,
>
> I have a few questions about freeamp and the developers group. This is
> inlight
> of my never ending search for a linux mp3 player with support for serial
> in-out
> communications for external display/control support. Ie: an lcd, with
> keypad, with
> a simple micro (PIC) supporting the lcd and keypad and communications
> with freeamp
> through a com port.
>
> I am hoping to find answers to the following questions with freeamp, as
> it is one of
> the only player for linux i have found, that has GPL ed source code.
>
>     1.     Would it be possible ( by me if I learned to program better)
>         to implement an equalizer function into freeamp? (Graphical,
>         command line driven, whatever, maybe a plugin)

        i think it supports one already - but the ui needs to support it.

>     2.      Also, could commands derived from the serial port be used
>         to control freeamp's functions, and could freeamp be made to
> output
>         a serial information stream in a simple matter (IE with a
> plugin)?
        easily.  once again, all done with the ui.

>     3         Is anyone pursuing (making finding interested in etc)
> these sort
>         of features for freeamp?
        i'd be interested, i had thought about it, but i don't have any
of the hardware nessecary at the moment.

>     4         Does anyone know of another package that might provide an
> easier
>         solution than freeamp?
>
>    BTW, i do not know much linux or programming, but I am quickly
> learning.
> Any feedback on these issues, or pointers to an overview of freeamps
> architecture,
> etc would be appreciated immensly.

overview time: freeamp itself handles playing mp3s, while all control of
playback (stop/start/next/pause/etc) and user feedback (progress bar) is
handled by the user-interface plugins.. and the pmo handle decoding ( i
think =P) ... so basically you just need to write a UI that outputs and
inputs through a serial port, which shouldn't be to tough if you get specs
on the devices you are using.