Here is EXACTLY what I did:

a.) download  http://www.freeamp.org/download/src/freeamp-1-3-1.zip
b.) with winzip 7.0SR1, extract with folders to c:\devel\test\
c.) Open MS Visual C++ Enterprise 5.0
d.) file | open | c:\devel\test\freeamp\base\win32\prj\freeamp.dsw

Error Message: Not all of the windows in the workspace could be opened.
e.) build a Win32 Release [not nasm]
f.) complete output:

----------
--------------------Configuration: fileinput - Win32
Release--------------------
Performing Custom Build Step
        1 file(s) copied
Compiling resources...
Compiling...
localfileinput.cpp
log.cpp
mutex.cpp
pipeline.cpp
pmi.cpp
preferences.cpp
pullbuffer.cpp
semaphore.cpp
thread.cpp
win32thread.cpp
Linking...
   Creating library Release/fileinput.lib and object Release/fileinput.exp
        1 file(s) copied
--------------------Configuration: soundcard - Win32
Release--------------------
Compiling resources...
Compiling...
eventbuffer.cpp
log.cpp
mutex.cpp
pipeline.cpp
pmo.cpp
preferences.cpp
pullbuffer.cpp
semaphore.cpp
soundcardpmo.cpp
thread.cpp
win32prefs.cpp
win32thread.cpp
Linking...
   Creating library Release/soundcard.lib and object Release/soundcard.exp
Directory already exists
        1 file(s) copied
--------------------Configuration: xing - Win32 Release--------------------
Compiling resources...
Compiling...
eventbuffer.cpp
log.cpp
mutex.cpp
pipeline.cpp
preferences.cpp
pullbuffer.cpp
semaphore.cpp
thread.cpp
win32prefs.cpp
win32thread.cpp
cdct.c
csbt.c
cup.c
cupl3.c
cwinm.c
dec8.c
hwin.c
icdct.c
isbt.c
iup.c
iwinm.c
l3dq.c
l3init.c
mdct.c
mhead.c
msis.c
uph.c
upsf.c
wavep.c
xinglmc.cpp
Linking...
   Creating library Release/xing.lib and object Release/xing.exp
Directory already exists
        1 file(s) copied
--------------------Configuration: freeampui - Win32
Release--------------------
Compiling resources...
Compiling...
bitmapview.cpp
buttonview.cpp
control.cpp
controlinfo.cpp
dialview.cpp
dib.cpp
fontwidth.cpp
freeampui.cpp
listview.cpp
mutex.cpp
playlist.cpp
prefdialog.cpp
preferences.cpp
registrar.cpp
registry.cpp
renderer.cpp
resizeview.cpp
rio.cpp
scrollview.cpp
semaphore.cpp
statusview.cpp
stringitem.cpp
textview.cpp
thread.cpp
timeview.cpp
utility.cpp
view.cpp
volumeview.cpp
win32prefs.cpp
win32thread.cpp
Linking...
   Creating library Release/freeamp.lib and object Release/freeamp.exp
Directory already exists
        1 file(s) copied
--------------------Configuration: httpinput - Win32
Release--------------------
Compiling resources...
Compiling...
httpinput.cpp
log.cpp
mutex.cpp
pipeline.cpp
pmi.cpp
preferences.cpp
pullbuffer.cpp
semaphore.cpp
streambuffer.cpp
thread.cpp
tstream.cpp
win32prefs.cpp
win32thread.cpp
Linking...
   Creating library Release/httpinput.lib and object Release/httpinput.exp
Directory already exists
        1 file(s) copied
--------------------Configuration: obsinput - Win32
Release--------------------
Compiling resources...
Compiling...
log.cpp
mutex.cpp
obsinput.cpp
pipeline.cpp
pmi.cpp
preferences.cpp
pullbuffer.cpp
semaphore.cpp
streambuffer.cpp
thread.cpp
tstream.cpp
win32thread.cpp
Linking...
   Creating library Release/obsinput.lib and object Release/obsinput.exp
Directory already exists
        1 file(s) copied
--------------------Configuration: simple - Win32
Release--------------------
Compiling resources...
Compiling...
about.cpp
mutex.cpp
playlist.cpp
prefdialog.cpp
preferences.cpp
registrar.cpp
registry.cpp
rio.cpp
semaphore.cpp
simpleui.cpp
thread.cpp
win32prefs.cpp
win32thread.cpp
Linking...
   Creating library Release/simple.lib and object Release/simple.exp
Directory already exists
        1 file(s) copied
--------------------Configuration: Rainplay - Win32
Release--------------------
Compiling resources...
Compiling...
StdAfx.cpp
Compiling...
AboutDlg.cpp
active.cpp
BmpSize.cpp
EnumFonts.cpp
mutex.cpp
playlist.cpp
Rainplay.cpp
RainplayDlg.cpp
RainplayUI.cpp
rio.cpp
semaphore.cpp
thread.cpp
win32thread.cpp
EQDlg.cpp
PlayListDlg.cpp
Fft.cpp
VisualView.cpp
preferences.cpp
PreferencesDlg.cpp
win32prefs.cpp
Compiling...
optionsetupdlg.cpp
Linking...
   Creating library Release/rainplay.lib and object Release/rainplay.exp
Directory already exists
        1 file(s) copied
--------------------Configuration: dsoundcard - Win32
Release--------------------
Compiling resources...
Compiling...
dsoundcardpmo.cpp
C:\devel\test\freeamp\io\dsound\win32\src\dsoundcardpmo.cpp(260) : error
C2065: 'DSBVOLUME_MIN' : undeclared identifier
C:\devel\test\freeamp\io\dsound\win32\src\dsoundcardpmo.cpp(260) : error
C2065: 'DSBVOLUME_MAX' : undeclared identifier
C:\devel\test\freeamp\io\dsound\win32\src\dsoundcardpmo.cpp(391) : error
C2065: 'DSBCAPS_GLOBALFOCUS' : undeclared identifier
eventbuffer.cpp
log.cpp
mutex.cpp
pipeline.cpp