Usually, when I start freeamp, it would give me 'assertion error' which I
could ignore (not finding good metadatabase)
but not now - it would trap in freeamp.exe.

The problem lies in initialization routine of musicbrowser and database:

Database:: constructor calls gdbm_open for m_dbase, a call WHICH CAN FAIL!!!
Then, Database::NextKey() does not honor m_dbase being NULL, and calls
gdbm_firstkey(m_dbase) which
in turn tries to reference that nullpointer. There.

Thankfully, setting m_database=NULL; in MusicBrowser::SetDatabase() locked
that codepath out so I could
continue going.

--
Valters "WaTT" Vingolds