Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT
Creative Driver versions: 4.03.00.2107-02.112, 4.0.0 (whatever that means)
BIOS version: 2.04.5G

Sometimes, if I really play around with it, more than just the slider
disappears, and it only reappears when something changes (when the actual
data changes), and I usually have to minimize and restore to get it back
(simply obscuring it behind another window will not work).

But that's unusual. The thing with the slider disappearing happens 100%
of the time.