Isaac Richards wrote:

> On 23-Feb-2000 Lee Patterson wrote:
> > I had heard that gdb doesn't support multiple threads. Is this "sort of"
> > true? It works more or less in other words.
>
> Nope, it supports threaded programs..  Well, sorta.  Different versions of gdb
> support different versions of glibc's threading model, but the latest release
> of gdb (which is what's shipping in rh 6.2 and the debian 2.2 release
> candidate, dunno about other distros) supports the threads library that's in
> the latest release of glibc, so it's all fine...
>
> > I'm also very green with Linux. Are there alternative debuggers (commercial
> > &/or free) one can use? What's a good one?
>
> That, I don't know.  It's something we're quite interested in for freeamp,
> though. =)
>
> Isaac
Try using the ddd (Data Display Debugger), we are also using it. Here is a text from
there homepage.
http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/ or http://www.cs.tu-bs.de/softech/ddd/ddd.html

Regards,
Erik van der Knaap

--- Snip Snip Snip ---
The Data Display Debugger (DDD) is a popular graphical user interface for
command-line debuggers such as GDB, DBX, JDB, WDB, XDB, the Perl debugger, and
the Python debugger. Besides ``usual'' front-end features such as viewing source
texts, DDD has become famous through its interactive graphical data display,
where data structures are displayed as graphs. A simple mouse click dereferences
pointers or views structure contents, updated each time the program stops. Using
DDD, you can reason about your application by watching its data, not just by
viewing it execute lines of source code.

Other DDD features include: debugging of programs written in
Ada, C, C++, Chill, Fortran, Java, Modula, Pascal, Perl, and Python;
machine-level debugging; hypertext source navigation and lookup; breakpoint,
watchpoint, backtrace, and history editors; array plots; undo/redo;
preferences and settings editors; program execution in terminal
emulator window; debugging on remote host; on-line manual;
extensive help on the Motif user interface; command-line interface
with full editing, history, and completion capabilities.
--- Snip Snip Snip --