The "convert" app, released as a part of ImageMagick, is what I use.  Its
syntax is pretty straightforward:

$ convert myimage.ico myimage.png

or whatever formats you want to convert between.  Here is its freshmeat page:

http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/01/11/884574457.html

or you can go directly to the imagemagick page at

http://www.imagemagick.org

If you're using a recent/major linux distro like RedHat or Mandrake,
ImageMagick is probably already installed.

Good luck.

-Scott