I've been reading the FreeAmp source code to try and learn how to work
with windows, and I've learned quite a bit.  But there's one thing I can't
figure out.  How does the FreeAmp window keep from losing focus?
DirectSound would stop sound output if the window lost focus - it doesn't.
I can pull other windows over top of it, or minimize it, and it still
keeps focus.  I've read the source code and poked it with a couple of
windows run-time tools and I still can't figure out how it does it.

  I hope I'm not polluting your list but I've been banging my head over
this for weeks.  The elegance of the source code is making me want to
mangle my box, especially when my source code sits there and misbehaves.