Depending on how recent a version of the freeamp source you have (probably if
it is a year old or newer) there is a Makefile.towav in the root directory of
the .tgz.

I believe

make -f Makefile.towav

will do it.

The jist of what it does is, in fact, gcc *.c.  What you are missing is the
-I../include (when lmc/xingmp3/src is your cwd).

jason