Maarten,

The RTP implementation that's in the default Freeamp distribution is rather
limited; you may instead want to try the modified Freeamp (with much
improved RTP/RTCP support) that I announced to this mailing list a few
weeks back.

(Alternatively, if you're on Windows, you could instead run "Winamp", with
the "in_rtp.dll" plugin: <http://www.live.com/multikit/winamp-plugin.html>)

        Ross.

----------- my earlier message: ------------
I have modified the recent Freeamp 2.1.1 source code release to make use of
the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" libraries (see <http://live.sourceforge.net/>).

The major changes in the code were to "io/obs/obsinput.{h,cpp}".  These now
use the RTP/RTCP implementation from the LIVE.COM libraries, rather than
the (limited) RTP implementation that was there before.  This brings many
benefits:
        - There is now full RTCP support.  (In particular, Freeamp will now send
          back RTCP Reception Reports when playing a RTP session.)
        - Freeamp now supports loss-tolerant MP3/RTP streams (as defined in
          RFC 3119), as well as traditional MP3/RTP streams as defined in RFC 2250.
        - For even greater loss tolerance, Freeamp can now also receive sessions
          that use 'layered erasure coding' - i.e., using multiple RTP streams,
          encoded at different bit rates (using a technique developed by
          Multicast Technologies, Inc.).  (For more information about this, see
        <http://www.live.com/multikit/winamp-plugin.html#mct-slap>, which
        describes how such session can be described using 'rtp://' pseudo-URLs.)
        - Freeamp now accepts "rtsp://" URLs (for those MP3/RTP sessions
          (unicast or multicast) that are served by RTSP servers.
        - As an alternative to using "rtp://" or "rtsp://" URLs to play a MP3/RTP
          session, Freeamp can also read a ".sdp" file that describes such sessions
          (using the IETF's "Session Description Protocol" - RFC 2327).  (At present
        this works only if the ".sdp" file name is given on the command line.)
        - By using the LIVE.COM libraries, Freeamp now has the potential to
          support many additional RTP payload formats - if a decoder is present.
          For example, with an appropriate decoding implementation Freeamp could
          now support PCM (u-law or a-law), GSM, QCELP, etc. etc. RTP streams.

In addition to the changes to "io/obs/obsinput.{h,cpp}", there were also
minor changes to a handful of other files - mainly to recognize "rtsp://"
URLs and ".sdp" files as special cases.  Plus, of course, I updated
"Makefile.header.in" and "Makefile-plugins.in" to reference the "LIVE.COM
Streaming Media" headers.

I have left my updated copy of the Freeamp code online as
<http://www.live.com/mct/freeamp+live.tgz>.  There is also a patch file:
<http://www.live.com/mct/freeamp+live.patch>, and a pre-built Linux/x86
binary: <http://www.live.com/mct/binaries/linux-x86/freeamp>.

To build this from source, you will also need the "LIVE.COM Streaming
Media" code (available from <http://live.sourceforge.net/>), unpacked into
a directory "live" (with "freeamp" and "live" being siblings in the file
hierarchy).

It would be great if these modifications could be incorporated into the
official Freeamp code base, as they are significant improvement over the
original code.

        Ross Finlayson
        LIVE.COM
        <http://www.live.com/>