On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 19:07 +0100, Alexandre Dulaunoy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are under discussion for the current bylaws of the Free Archive
> Foundation and here is a first draft on the important part : the
> definition/objectives (article 2) :
>
> http://www.freearchive.org/wiki2/index.php/FreeArchive:ByLaws
>
> We have now a clear separation between functional works and non-
> functional works in the current draft.

Here is a second revision of the article 2 including some changes
proposed by rms on the difference between free and freely
redistributable works :

A functional work is considered free when you have all of the following
four freedoms :

      * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
      * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
        needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition
        for this.
      * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
        (freedom 2).
      * The freedom to improve the program, and release your
        improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits
        (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for
        this.

For the functional works, the <named foundation> is following
qualification of the free software license done by the Free Software
Foundation, Inc. or its official and legal successor.

Works in the public domain or whose copyrights have expired always
qualify as free or freely redistributable.

A non-functional work is considered freely redistributable when you have
all of the following freedoms :

      * The freedom to redistribute copies of the work without any
        restriction.
      * The freedom to archive and maintain the work for long-term
        preservation.

(def. The free digital heritage is composed of free functional works and
freely redistributable non-functional works.)

The aims of the <named foundation> are :

      * Promoting the preservation and the usage of the free digital
        heritage in and for the society,
      * Creating and maintaining one or more archiving facilities for
        the preservation of the free digital heritage, (The facilities
        must be built and maintained only with free functional works)

Any action can be taken in order to protect the free digital heritage.

----

The remaining points are :

 * Do we make a definition for functional works in the bylaws ?
 * Is the composition/scope of the free digital heritage enough or not ?
 * Other points ?

Thanks a lot for any feedback,

Have a nice day,

adulau