I've just experimented with terrain splatting, a screenshot
can be found at http://www.inutil.org/terrain-splatting.png
404 not found..

The approach is rather simple and efficient: For n levels
of height texture differentiation you need n-1 splatting
maps. The PagingLandscapeManager computes these at runtime,
but with the plain Octree/TerrainSceneManager we'd need to
calculate them out of the heightmap and generate splat
textures on the fly. This is definitely doable, but as a
switch to PLSM is needed anyway some time in the future and
it already contains this feature I don't want to spend time
on an own implementation here.
Have you tested it? Im trying but I have one of this days that HEAD CVS didnt compile.. so Im a bit stuck..