On Sat, 2 Oct 2010, Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
 > On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 16:34 +1000, Ian Smith wrote:
 > > On Fri, 1 Oct 2010, Paul B Mahol wrote:
 > >  > On 10/1/10, Ian Smith <smi...@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
 > >  > > On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Matt wrote:
 > >  > >  >  Success!
[..]
 > >  > >  > acpiconf -s4 causes shutdown, does not resume on power on.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Suspend To Disk is not expected to work; your laptop (like most) has
 > > no
 > >  > > BIOS support for S4, as per your hw.acpi.s4bios: 0
 > >  >
 > >  > Suspend to disk does not work because FreeBSD does not support it.
 > >  > (s4bios is irrelevant here)
 > >
 > > Ah, when did that break?  It worked fine on my old Compaq 1500c ('99!)
 > > on FreeBSD 5.5, s4bios=1, though for another reason I couldn't usually
 > > run ACPI on it, and APM STD and STR work. I found a message from someone
 > > with a Dell Inspiron something a few years ago reporting S4BIOS working,
 > > modulo a fixable screen resume issue that he had resuming from S3 also.

 > On my IBM ThinkPad 701C "Butterfly" BIOS-supported suspend-to-disk broke
 > somewhere between 4.11 and 5.2.1. Upon resume in 5.2.1 system would go
 > into endless loop of ata timeouts and never come back.

I haven't tried since 5.5.  Have you tried it again with 7|8|9?

I realise that machines supporting S4BIOS are becoming rarities (a bit
like real modems vs 'winmodems' I guess) but has anyone heard of anyone
succeeding - or failing - to hibernate with machines that used to work?
I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed posts/PRs re this, in acpi@ at least.

The 1500c is still in service, still using APM, so I can't pull it down
to test either this or its big issue with ACPI back then (not switching
to battery power on loss of AC - clunk!)  Maybe when I get a Soekris or
similar box going, paqi can be put out to pasture for its 12th birthday,
like an old working horse :)

cheers, Ian