On 2011-06-30 1:59 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
on 30/06/2011 19:32 Ed VanderPloeg said the following:
I updated to 8-stable but am still getting ACPI error messages to console every
10 seconds.

Just for my curiosity - has anything changed with respect to est driver
attachment?

I'm not sure what you mean by "attachment".  With 8-stable now installed:

stanbud# kldstat -v | grep est
                445 cpu/est

Is there anything you would like me to check?

What happens when sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate=0?  Does this disable
polling?  I noticed that when I set it to zero, the error messages seem to stop,
but then setting it to a non-zero value never brings the messages back again.

I've just the code in acpi_thermal driver and it doesn't have any validation for
polling_rate and thus no special treatment for the value of zero.  So, it passes
timeout of zero to msleep() function, which does have a special meaning for zero
- it means sleep forever until wakeup event.  Essentially when you did sysctl
hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate=0, you made the thermal zone handling thread to
sleep "forever".  This can be considered a bug in FreeBSD ACPI TZ driver.  The
only thing that seems to be able to wake up the thread after that is a change of
power profile.  So switching from AC to batter or vice versa could wake up the
thread and make it use a new value of polling_rate.