on 01/07/2011 01:52 Vitaly Magerya said the following:
> I got the dumps for Linux (it appears that you can't just read
> /dev/mem on there, you need to mmap it). The summary of differences
> between FreeBSD and Linux right after the boot:
>
>     DB00: 01 -> 00
>     P80D: 06:08:00:00 -> 06:08:4C:00

Not sure what these two are.

>     PCP0: 1D -> BF
>     PCP1: 1D -> BF

These reflect advertised OS power-management capabilities and appear to be
correct.

>     BRTL: 00 -> 1E

This seems to be a variable holding current BRighTness Level.
It seems to be ralated to _BCM/_BQC/etc methods used acpi_video driver.

>     VDRV: 00 -> 01

Looks like this variable should tell if OS has ACPI Video driver, to be precise
if _BCL method was invoked at least once.
Looks like in your case the driver doesn't attach for some reason?..
Unfortunately, I don't remember if or where you provided your dmesg.

> (Note that C1ON is 0 just as with FreeBSD, and yet powertop does
> report C2 and C4).

Hmm, this is the strangest thing.  According to my analysis of all the ASL code
that we extracted if C1ON is zero, then no deep C-states should be reported by
_CST method.
As such, I wonder where does Linux get C-states information from?  Or what else
could be going on here.  Maybe they somehow query them directly from HW
by-passing ACPI in this case...

Actually, it seems that they have them simply hardcoded:
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.39/drivers/idle/intel_idle.c#L171
I am not sure how to check on Linux which cpuidle driver is being used.  If you
know, could please check that?  And if the driver is intel_idle, then there is
no mystery, they use those hardcoded values.

> Then, after about 4 minutes of uptime, C1ON changes to 1 (and
> powertop still reports the same states).

OK, no difference here.  So it's probably done by firmware based on some unknown
logic.

--
Andriy Gapon